Darul Ilm
Darul Ilm
Darul Ilm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Darul Ilm

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterArcadeLog in
Imaam al-Shaafi’i Rahimahullaah said: ‘There is nobody except that he has someone who loves him and someone who hates him. So if that’s the case, let a person be with the people who are obedient to Allaah `Azza Wa Jall.’

Book review thread - Non Islamic

Go down 
+10
UmmHaraith
tawhid1
Fatima
Razzie
umm.qasym
Admin
umm uthman
Z-Blade
huhwhatwhere
Al Qadr
14 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Al Qadr
Princess Super Mod
Al Qadr

Female Number of posts : 1129
Religion : Islam
Registration date : 2007-11-03

Book review thread - Non Islamic Empty
PostSubject: Book review thread - Non Islamic   Book review thread - Non Islamic Icon_minitimeFri Nov 09, 2007 6:25 pm

study

Post your book reviews here. For books relating to Islam post here: https://darulilm.forumotion.com/misc-f13/islamic-book-review-thread-t61.htm

aswrwb
Back to top Go down
http://www.me-ate-all-the-cake/fatty.com
huhwhatwhere

Male Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2007-11-06

PostSubject: Re: Book review thread - Non Islamic   Book review thread - Non Islamic Icon_minitimeMon Nov 19, 2007 1:21 am

Al Qadr wrote:
study

Post your book reviews here. For books relating to Islam post here: https://darulilm.forumotion.com/misc-f13/islamic-book-review-thread-t61.htm

aswrwb

Anyone read Malcom X's biography?? what are your thoughts
Back to top Go down
Z-Blade
Z-Blade

Male Number of posts : 427

PostSubject: Re: Book review thread - Non Islamic   Book review thread - Non Islamic Icon_minitimeMon Nov 19, 2007 5:42 am

huhwhatwhere wrote:
Al Qadr wrote:
study

aswrwb

Anyone read Malcom X's biography?? what are your thoughts

aswrwb,

Won't that be classed as an Islamic book?! Anyway, it rocks! Though I haven't read it but it must do since I saw something like it on Islam Channel!

Wassalam.
Back to top Go down
http://www.OH-REALLY?.com

PostSubject: Re: Book review thread - Non Islamic   Book review thread - Non Islamic Icon_minitimeWed Jan 09, 2008 1:26 pm

I've read the book. Its good, very good - u should definitely read it. Shows his thoughts and actions as a non-muslim all the way to Islam. The change is amazing.

Is that the documentary they showed? Was great bro, cried when they show him in his coffin
Back to top Go down
Z-Blade
Z-Blade

PostSubject: Re: Book review thread - Non Islamic   Book review thread - Non Islamic Icon_minitimeThu Jan 10, 2008 6:47 am

Black_Flag wrote:
I've read the book. Its good, very good - u should definitely read it. Shows his thoughts and actions as a non-muslim all the way to Islam. The change is amazing.

Is that the documentary they showed? Was great bro, cried when they show him in his coffin

aswrwb, I see, JazakAllahu khair for the reccomendation and info. Is it cheap embarassed? outta

You're talking about the documentary I saw on Islam Channel? Yeah, that's what I was talking about, and I felt the same way when he was martyred embarassed. outta But I didn't let it out nono. outta

Wassalam.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Book review thread - Non Islamic   Book review thread - Non Islamic Icon_minitimeThu Jan 10, 2008 12:39 pm

Wsalam

actually I didn't at first either but then my aunt started so I thought i'd join her for support. No but seriously it was sad.

The book is I don't know 7 pounds? In your budget? Borrow it from a library if you don't want to buy it roll eyes

Last edited by Black_Flag on Wed Apr 16, 2008 7:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Z-Blade
Z-Blade

PostSubject: Re: Book review thread - Non Islamic   Book review thread - Non Islamic Icon_minitimeThu Jan 10, 2008 9:31 pm

Black_Flag wrote:
Wsalam

Lol, actually I didn't at first either but then my aunt started so I thought i'd join her for support. No but seriously it was sad.

The book is I don't know 7 pounds? In your budget? Borrow it from a library if you don't want to buy it roll eyes

aswrwb,

Yeah right, I bet you started first and then your aunt joined in to support you :'). outta

LOL, £7 eh?! Quite the rip off, yeah but it is within my budget, we'll see if I will buy it inshaAllah : O. You can borrow it from the library eh?! Cool, can you get it from a Uni library? :')

Is this the one you're talking about?:

Autobiography of Malcolm X (Paperback)
by Malcolm X (Author)
Price: £8.99
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Autobiography-Malcolm-X/dp/0141032723/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1200020918&sr=1-4

It's £2 more than you said sad.

Wassalam.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Book review thread - Non Islamic   Book review thread - Non Islamic Icon_minitimeFri Jan 11, 2008 12:17 pm

Yes bro thats the one, maybe we can raise some money for you here on the forum. U need £2 more. Or do a cake sale

Last edited by Black_Flag on Wed Apr 16, 2008 7:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Al Qadr
Princess Super Mod
Al Qadr

PostSubject: Re: Book review thread - Non Islamic   Book review thread - Non Islamic Icon_minitimeFri Jan 11, 2008 5:13 pm

Billy goats gruff Big Grin naa, ain't read that since school Sad but saw a massive copy of it at the library, bought back memories.

Book review thread - Non Islamic RECS%20pic%2013-64

What biographies would one recommend? I bought female companions of the Prophet Sallallahu alayhi wa earlier this week, not read it yet though.
Back to top Go down
Z-Blade
Z-Blade

PostSubject: Re: Book review thread - Non Islamic   Book review thread - Non Islamic Icon_minitimeFri Jan 11, 2008 8:48 pm

aswrwb,

Black_Flag wrote:
rotfl Yes bro thats the one, maybe we can raise some money for you here on the forum. U need £2 more. Or do a cake sale Big Grin

Yeah, I expect the £2 from you sister, since you misinformed me Astaghfirullah sad. outta

Haha, naah, £7 seemed OK but £9 is a bit much. We shall see if I buy it inshaAllah :'O.

Al Qadr wrote:
What biographies would one recommend? I bought female companions of the Prophet Sallallahu alayhi wa earlier this week, not read it yet though.

Are you talking about non-Islamic biographies ukht? scratch Since this is the non-Islamic Book Review thread you made you know :'). Otherwise, I would reccommend biographies of the Sahabah (RA) as would anyone :') (obviously I would mention the Prophet Sallallahu alayhi wa first, but I know you've read that already), and also biographies of great scholars of the past - like Imam Abu Hanifah (RH). I also hear the biography of the author of "Fazail-e-Amal" is very good, I think his name is something like Muhammad Khandalwi?! scratch Forgot how it is exactly embarassed.

Hope that helps Smile.

Wassalam.
Back to top Go down
Al Qadr
Princess Super Mod
Al Qadr

PostSubject: Re: Book review thread - Non Islamic   Book review thread - Non Islamic Icon_minitimeFri Jan 11, 2008 10:25 pm

I got companions of the Prophet 1 and 2, read the 1st one Big Grin

The Imam Abu Hanifah one sounds good thumbs up

Yea, I've read Prophet Sallallahu alayhi wa but as with most things, you forget quite a bit after some time Neutral Insha Allah read sections again.

I was asking about any biographies of any Muslims, past or present btw.

Shukran

aswrwb
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Book review thread - Non Islamic   Book review thread - Non Islamic Icon_minitimeSat Jan 12, 2008 11:48 am

Hmm not sure, maybe mohammed ali?

Theres the life of Zainab al Ghazali though I havent read it...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zainab_al_Ghazali
Back to top Go down
umm uthman
RosePetal
umm uthman

Female Number of posts : 606
Registration date : 2007-11-05

PostSubject: Re: Book review thread - Non Islamic   Book review thread - Non Islamic Icon_minitimeSat Jan 12, 2008 5:23 pm

Al Qadr wrote:
Billy goats gruff Big Grin naa, ain't read that since school Sad but saw a massive copy of it at the library, bought back memories.
Book review thread - Non Islamic RECS%20pic%2013-64
lol at BGG - Our kids (3/4 yr olds) in love this book! hidden banana
Book review thread - Non Islamic Campbe10
Back to top Go down
Z-Blade
Z-Blade

PostSubject: Re: Book review thread - Non Islamic   Book review thread - Non Islamic Icon_minitimeSun Jan 13, 2008 12:20 am

Al Qadr wrote:
I got companions of the Prophet 1 and 2, read the 1st one Big Grin

The Imam Abu Hanifah one sounds good thumbs up

Yea, I've read Prophet Sallallahu alayhi wa but as with most things, you forget quite a bit after some time Neutral Insha Allah read sections again.

I was asking about any biographies of any Muslims, past or present btw.

Shukran

aswrwb

aswrwb,

I see, mashaAllah.

There is also the Ash Shifa by Qadi Iyad, that is meant to be the best book on the Prophet Sallallahu alayhi wa. I have it and have read it (though forgot most of it now embarrassed), and I'd say it definitely is good. You'll learn things regarding the Prophet Sallallahu alayhi wa you never knew before Big Grin. Also, the biographies of Islamic heros like Salahuddin (RA) is a good idea to read too. And there is also a pretty detailed biography on Khalid bin Waleed (RA) as he was one of the best war generals in history. Hmmm, you can't seem attach anything or else I could upload it ^^. I've uploaded it here via megaupload: https://darulilm.forumotion.com/kitaabs-f25/khalid-bin-al-waleed-t206.htm#2125

And ukhti, it's better (and I would prefer and appreciate it) to say JazakAllahu khair as this is a dua whereas shukran just means thank you :'). outta WaAllahu 'Alim. JazakAllahu khair.

Wassalam.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Book review thread - Non Islamic   Book review thread - Non Islamic Icon_minitimeSun Jan 13, 2008 10:02 am

Who remembers the Hungry Caterpillar book? That was good, with the holes in the pages.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Book review thread - Non Islamic   Book review thread - Non Islamic Icon_minitimeSun Jan 13, 2008 3:06 pm

Black_Flag wrote:
Who remembers the Hungry Caterpillar book? That was good, with the holes in the pages.

i remember that, used to read it in Reception Big Grin Big Grin and then he turns into a butterfly and flies away hidden banana
This one was a good one too:

Book review thread - Non Islamic 1558585362.01.LZZZZZZZ
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Book review thread - Non Islamic   Book review thread - Non Islamic Icon_minitimeMon Jan 14, 2008 12:53 pm

Lol, havent read that one before, I remember Elmer though - the patchwork elephant.
Back to top Go down
umm uthman
RosePetal
umm uthman

PostSubject: Re: Book review thread - Non Islamic   Book review thread - Non Islamic Icon_minitimeMon Jan 14, 2008 1:07 pm

Black_Flag wrote:
Lol, havent read that one before, I remember Elmer though - the patchwork elephant.
yeh Big Grin good old Elmer - i remember 'spot the dog' and 'kipper' aswell - though we still read all these to children now too Big Grin
Back to top Go down
Admin
FrequentlyAbsent (EvenThoughFounder)
Admin

Male Number of posts : 3564
Registration date : 2007-11-01

PostSubject: Re: Book review thread - Non Islamic   Book review thread - Non Islamic Icon_minitimeMon Jan 14, 2008 5:44 pm

Is there no books other than fairy tales here Neutral
Back to top Go down
https://darulilm.forumotion.com

PostSubject: Re: Book review thread - Non Islamic   Book review thread - Non Islamic Icon_minitimeMon Jan 14, 2008 8:35 pm

lol @ Elmer and the other ones....good memories Big Grin

has anyone read the Dave Pelzer autobiographies....A Child called It...The Lost Boy...A man named Dave...

really sad what happened to him sad

hmm, some other ones is the Princess series....by Jean Sasson...tis a bit wierd to say the least....
Back to top Go down
umm uthman
RosePetal
umm uthman

PostSubject: Re: Book review thread - Non Islamic   Book review thread - Non Islamic Icon_minitimeMon Jan 14, 2008 10:52 pm

Amethyst wrote:

has anyone read the Dave Pelzer autobiographies....A Child called It...The Lost Boy...A man named Dave...

hmm, some other ones is the Princess series....by Jean Sasson...tis a bit wierd to say the least....
eek A child called it n The Lost Boy r so sad (about a boy who gets abused by his parents?) cry ...n so i didn't read A man named Dave embarassed lol
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Book review thread - Non Islamic   Book review thread - Non Islamic Icon_minitimeTue Jan 15, 2008 9:21 am

Admin wrote:
Is there no books other than fairy tales here Neutral

Dave Pelzers book is no fairy tale. I read half of it then I was like vomit too depressing!

Last edited by on Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
umm.qasym
umm.qasym

Female Number of posts : 56
Religion : Islaam
Registration date : 2007-11-29

PostSubject: Re: Book review thread - Non Islamic   Book review thread - Non Islamic Icon_minitimeSun Jan 20, 2008 8:32 pm

I haven't read any new - fiction or factual - book in a LONG time now. My brain cells must be rusting.
umm uthman wrote:
Amethyst wrote:

eek A child called it n The Lost Boy r so sad (about a boy who gets abused by his parents?) cry ...n so i didn't read A man named Dave embarassed lol
I read those books..but put 'em down midway...too emotional embarassed Neutral

But I caught up with my emotional side reading Suzanne's Diary for Nicholas by James Patterson and boi...I cried buckets then Big Grin

oh about Jean Sasson books - man just ignore 'em wacko I've never been as much irked by a book character as I was by Sultana - I abhored her! [I read Sasson's first 2, skipped her third]
Back to top Go down
Z-Blade
Z-Blade

PostSubject: Re: Book review thread - Non Islamic   Book review thread - Non Islamic Icon_minitimeTue Jan 22, 2008 5:51 am

Black_Flag wrote:

aswrwb,

LOL, I remember I used to love that book, was really intriguing as a kid. Read all those kids books as a kid except for Elmer and the Rainbow fish books? scratch

Wassalam.
Back to top Go down
Al Qadr
Princess Super Mod
Al Qadr

PostSubject: Re: Book review thread - Non Islamic   Book review thread - Non Islamic Icon_minitimeFri Feb 15, 2008 3:06 pm

The kite runner

Probably the best non islamic book I've read :'(

The characters are sooo real and you will cry a thousand times over when reading this.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Book review thread - Non Islamic   Book review thread - Non Islamic Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Book review thread - Non Islamic
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next