Darul Ilm
Darul Ilm
Darul Ilm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Darul Ilm

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterArcadeLog in
Imaam al-Shaafi’i Rahimahullaah said: ‘There is nobody except that he has someone who loves him and someone who hates him. So if that’s the case, let a person be with the people who are obedient to Allaah `Azza Wa Jall.’

Hubb and MaHabbah

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Nisaa

Female Number of posts : 2677
Religion : Islam
Registration date : 2008-07-02

Hubb and MaHabbah Empty
PostSubject: Hubb and MaHabbah   Hubb and MaHabbah Icon_minitimeMon Dec 07, 2009 1:15 pm

Love, oh love.

al-Salāmu ‘alaykum wa rahmatullāh,

The word ‘love’ appeared as a noun in the Qur’an ten times – of those ten, nine were using the word hubb حبّ, as in the verse,

وَمِنَ النَّاسِ مَن يَتَّخِذُ مِن دُونِ اللّهِ أَندَاداً يُحِبُّونَهُمْ كَحُبِّ اللّهِ

And of mankind are some who take (for worship) others besides Allah as rivals (to Allah). They love them as they love Allah.

and once was using the word mahabbah, محبّة in the verse concerning Prophet Musa (peace be upon him),

أَنِ اقْذِفِيهِ فِي التَّابُوتِ فَاقْذِفِيهِ فِي الْيَمِّ فَلْيُلْقِهِ الْيَمُّ بِالسَّاحِلِ يَأْخُذْهُ عَدُوٌّ لِّي وَعَدُوٌّ لَّهُ وَأَلْقَيْتُ عَلَيْكَ مَحَبَّةً مِّنِّي وَلِتُصْنَعَ عَلَى عَيْنِي

Saying: ‘Put him (the child) into the Tabut (a box or a case or a chest) and put it into the river (Nile), then the river shall cast it up on the bank, and there, an enemy of Mine and an enemy of his shall take him.’ And I endued you with love from Me, in order that you may be brought up under My Eye,

The word hubb is the original verbal noun of the verb habba حبَّ, while the word mahabbah is what is known as the ‘masdar meemi‘ (verbal noun begining with a letter meem‘) of the same verb. As it is the original verb, it is the origin, the asl, and thus it appeared 9 times. But mahabbah only appeared once. The reason for this lies in the difference between these two words, which can be summed up in the following three points:

In the nine times in which the word hubb appeared, it was mentioned with regards the actions of man towards Allaah, or with regards instances related to life. When Allaah the Exalted used the word in reference to Himself towards one of His Creation – Musa (peace be upon him) – He used a different word (mahabbah), that was only ever used to describe His own actions, as is most befitting of His majesty.

Thus, when the love stems from mankind, the word hubb was used, but when it stems from Allaah, the word mahabbah was used.

The love that was bestowed upon Musa from Allaah settled in the soul of Musa and began to emanate from him just as light emanates from the sun, and its beautiful fragrance would attract the people to him and make them love him. Thus, Aasiyah, the wife of Fir’awn (among many others), immediately fell in love with him and requested from her husband that he not kill the baby Musa (see al-Qasas, verse 9).

But when humans show love to one another, it does not penetrate the beloved such that others then begin to love them also. This only occurs when Allaah loves His servant. Thus, it was only right to use different words to express these different types of love.

The word hubb is much more widely used than the word mahabbah. Thus, the more common word was used with a subject that is great in number (i.e. mankind), while the rare word was used with a Subject that is not (i.e. Allaah).

http://arabicgems.wordpress.com/

May Allah love us! AMEEN! ... how do I say that in Arabic.. =o
Back to top Go down

Hubb and MaHabbah Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hubb and MaHabbah   Hubb and MaHabbah Icon_minitimeMon Dec 07, 2009 7:54 pm

Great stuff, jazakAllah! love
Back to top Go down
Admin
FrequentlyAbsent (EvenThoughFounder)
Admin

Male Number of posts : 3564
Registration date : 2007-11-01

Hubb and MaHabbah Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hubb and MaHabbah   Hubb and MaHabbah Icon_minitimeMon Dec 07, 2009 8:52 pm

Quote :
May Allah love us! AMEEN! ... how do I say that in Arabic.. =o

I don't think anyone makes du'aa like that scratch

So instead i'll teach you the du'aa of Daawood 'Alayhis Salaam, it comes in a hadeeth in at-tirmidhi:

Allaahumma innee as'aluka hubbaka, wa hubba may yuhibbuka, wal 'amalalladhee yuballighunee hubbaka, Allaahummaj'al hubbaka ahabba ilayya min nafsee wa ahlee wa minal maa'il baarid.

اللَّهُمَّ إِنِّى أَسْأَلُكَ حُبَّكَ وَحُبَّ مَنْ يُحِبُّكَ وَالْعَمَلَ الَّذِى يُبَلِّغُنِى حُبَّكَ اللَّهُمَّ اجْعَلْ حُبَّكَ أَحَبَّ إِلَىَّ مِنْ نَفْسِى وَأَهْلِى وَمِنَ الْمَاءِ الْبَارِدِ

O Allaah i ask you for Your love, and the love of those whom You love, and those deeds which will bring me Your love, O Allaah make your love more beloved to me than my life and my family and cold water.

Last edited by Admin on Tue Dec 08, 2009 4:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
https://darulilm.forumotion.com
Admin
Admin

Hubb and MaHabbah Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hubb and MaHabbah   Hubb and MaHabbah Icon_minitimeMon Dec 07, 2009 9:02 pm

Do you want to try your hand at translating it or should i do it?
Back to top Go down
Nisaa

Hubb and MaHabbah Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hubb and MaHabbah   Hubb and MaHabbah Icon_minitimeMon Dec 07, 2009 11:18 pm

Allaahummaj'al hubbaka ahabba ilayya

That was in my head for some reason before you posted that dua, at least part of it, unless I already heard that hadith or it comes somewhere else.. I dunno.. Why can't you make a dua like that?

Actually I don't wanna attempt at translating.. just translate please. =o
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

Hubb and MaHabbah Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hubb and MaHabbah   Hubb and MaHabbah Icon_minitimeTue Dec 08, 2009 4:25 pm

Quote :
I dunno.. Why can't you make a dua like that?

I don't say you can't, i said i'm not aware of anyone making a du'aa like that.

Quote :
Actually I don't wanna attempt at translating.. just translate please. =o

There's no need to be ashamed if your translation isn't accurate you know Neutral

Okay: O Allaah i ask you for Your love, and the love of those whom You love, and those deeds which will bring me Your love, O Allaah make your love more beloved to me than my life and my family and cold water.
Back to top Go down
Nisaa

Hubb and MaHabbah Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hubb and MaHabbah   Hubb and MaHabbah Icon_minitimeTue Dec 08, 2009 4:31 pm

No I didn't think I'd have time, I'm not ashamed to make mistakes, I won't ever learn that way but I had a lot of homework at that moment in time =o

But can you tell me why the dua ends that way is there a specific reason? is that the full hadith? What's the full hadith?
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

Hubb and MaHabbah Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hubb and MaHabbah   Hubb and MaHabbah Icon_minitimeTue Dec 08, 2009 4:38 pm

Quote :
No I didn't think I'd have time, I'm not ashamed to make mistakes, I won't ever learn that way

But can you tell me why the dua ends that way is there a specific reason? is that the full hadith? What's the full hadith?

Good good thumbs up

That is the full du'aa. The reason cold water is mentioned is for emphasis, because when it's hot and you're a working person then cold water is something you really look forward to.

Perhaps if you put "millions" in the place of "cold water" you'll understand it better? Neutral
Back to top Go down
Nisaa

Hubb and MaHabbah Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hubb and MaHabbah   Hubb and MaHabbah Icon_minitimeTue Dec 08, 2009 5:34 pm

JazakAllahu khair I shall memorise it then. ^_^ Because it's a beautiful dua!

And no, nothing beats water after a long day at work/school.
Back to top Go down
Nisaa

Hubb and MaHabbah Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hubb and MaHabbah   Hubb and MaHabbah Icon_minitimeSun Dec 13, 2009 10:54 pm

There is a dua, does this sound familiar

asaluka hubbak wa hubba man yu-hibbuk wa hubba 'amalin yuqarribuni ila hubbik

Ameen..

Allahumma zuqni hubbak wa hubba man yanfa'ni hubbuhu indak

Okay there's a mistake in there.. someone fix it.. cause I couldn't hear properly.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

Hubb and MaHabbah Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hubb and MaHabbah   Hubb and MaHabbah Icon_minitimeMon Dec 14, 2009 12:29 pm

I know of the one which says: Allaahumma innee as'aluka hubbaka, wa hubba man yuhibbukla, wa hubba 'amalin yuqarribunee ilaa hubbika , but i didn't find it in one hadeeth just like that, that's why i posted the other one which is complete from one hadeeth.
Back to top Go down
Nisaa

Hubb and MaHabbah Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hubb and MaHabbah   Hubb and MaHabbah Icon_minitimeTue Dec 15, 2009 1:47 pm

Bismillah walhamdolilah wassalatu wassalam ‘ala rasool Allah

We live this life yearning to be amongst those whom Allah loves. On top of that, we wish and pray that Allah gives us the opportunity to be amonst the blessed who sincerly love Him. Truly, this only comes from His Will and we should beg him for that opportunity day and night.

Here is a a beautiful du’a that we have been taught by the Prophet sallalahu alayhi wasalam:

Allahuma innee as aluka hubbak wa hubba maiyy yuhibbook wal ‘amalalathzee yuballighunee hubbak

O Allah! Indeed I ask you for your love and love of those who love you and love of the deed which will draw me in attaining your love.

SubhanAllah! What a beautiful du’a. May Allah give us the ability to memorize this du’a and use it everyday in our journey of attaining His love. Ameen.

ilm fruits

? Different narrations or something?
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

Hubb and MaHabbah Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hubb and MaHabbah   Hubb and MaHabbah Icon_minitimeThu Dec 17, 2009 12:45 pm

It's the exact same hadeeth i posted, they just cut the last part off.
Back to top Go down
Nisaa

Hubb and MaHabbah Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hubb and MaHabbah   Hubb and MaHabbah Icon_minitimeFri Dec 18, 2009 10:22 am

Ohhh... I see now. dur
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Hubb and MaHabbah Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hubb and MaHabbah   Hubb and MaHabbah Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Hubb and MaHabbah
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Darul Ilm :: Learn About Islam :: Uloom Al-Qur'an :: Tafsir-
Jump to: