Darul Ilm
Darul Ilm
Darul Ilm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Darul Ilm

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterArcadeLog in
Imaam al-Shaafi’i Rahimahullaah said: ‘There is nobody except that he has someone who loves him and someone who hates him. So if that’s the case, let a person be with the people who are obedient to Allaah `Azza Wa Jall.’

Ar-Riyaa - Invalidation of Actions

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage

Ar-Riyaa - Invalidation of Actions Empty
PostSubject: Ar-Riyaa - Invalidation of Actions   Ar-Riyaa - Invalidation of Actions Icon_minitimeThu Aug 13, 2009 2:59 pm

Ar-riyaa is censured in the Book and the Sunnah. From them is the Statement of Allah, the Most High:

"So woe to the worshippers, who are neglectful of their prayers. Those who want to be seen (by men)." [Soorah al-Maa`oon: 4-6]

As for the ahaadeeth, some of them have already been mentioned in the chapter of shirk, since ar-riyaa is the minor shirk. Some will be mentioned here, inshaa'allaah.

Know O Muslim, O slave of Allaah, that the word riyaa is taken from the word ruyah (to be seen). So the one to be seen is viewed by the people as one seeking esteem amongst them. So at times one would seek self-esteem by one's actions in this world.

Riyaa is of many types and forms, its nature and tendency is that it invalidates the actions as stated in the Book and the Sunnah.

Allaah, the Most High, says:

"Like those who spened from their wealth to be seen by men, and they do not believe in Allaah and the Last Day. Their example is like the example of a hard rock on which is a little soil, then on it falls heavy rain which flows off it and they will not be able to do anything with whatever they have earned and Allaah does not guide the disbelieving people." [Soorah al-Baqarah: 264]

The Prophet, sallallaahu `alayhi wa sallam, said: "What I fear for you the most is the minor shirk, that is ar-riyaa. Allaah will say on the Day of Judgement when He is rewarding the people for their actions: Go to those for whom you did riyaa for in the world then see if you find the reward with them."

[Related by Ahmad (5/428, 429) and al-Baghawee in Sharh us-Sunnah (4135) from the hadeeth of Mahmood bin Lubaid, radiyallaahu `anhu, with an authentic chain upon the conditions of Muslim.]

The Prophet, sallallaahu `alayhi wa sallam, said: "Shall I not inform you of what I fear for you more than the maseeh ud-dajjaal? It is the hidden shirk. It is when a man stands up for prayer, then beautifies his prayer for another to look at."

[Related by Ibn Maajah (2604) from the hadeeth of Aboo Sa`eed al-Khudree, radiyallaahu `anhu. The hadeeth is hasan.]

So be warned my brother in faith, from riyaa as it is an evil tribulation annihilating the actions.

Know O Muslim brother, that the Fire will be kindled first for the people who showed-off because they took the enjoyment from the results of their actions in the life of this world.

So flee, O slave, from riyaa as you would flee from a lion, as riyaa and one's hidden desires even weakened the stands of the senior scholars from its dangers, let alone the general masses.

The scholars and the active worshippers who made great efforts to tread the path to the Hereafter, were even put to trial by it. When they took control of their themselves and abstained from desires, they were not being allured to the apparent and open sins committed by the limbs.

However when they became relaxed, they began to pretend to show knowledge, actions and to present gatherings, to be observed by the people with reverence and esteem. They feel great delight and they looked down upon the idea of leaving sins.

So one of them thinks that he is from amongst the sincere worshippers of Allaah but he has been confirmed as one of the hypocrites. This is a great deception and no one is safe from it except the angels.

It was said in a poem:

Enemies of the soul and the shaitaan; resist them both,

If they both give sincere advice to you, then escape from them both.

O Allaah, Lord of the Heavens and the earth, purify our hearts from hypocrisy and our actions from riyaa. Make us firm upon Your straight path so that we achieve certainty.

Ameen!

By Shaikh Saleem al-Hilaalee
Back to top Go down
Nisaa

Female Number of posts : 2677
Religion : Islam
Registration date : 2008-07-02

PostSubject: Re: Ar-Riyaa - Invalidation of Actions   Ar-Riyaa - Invalidation of Actions Icon_minitimeTue Aug 18, 2009 2:36 pm

JazakAllahu khair sis, you know I was listening to something, and it was just a side point about riyaa.

You can show off, and that's riyaa

But you can avoid a good action, which in turn can be riyaa too.

For example, say I wanted to pray 2 nafl, but there's people watching me, because I'm so afraid to show off, I don't pray, that could be riyaa because I'm not doing a good action because of fear for the people.

I thought that point was interesting...
Back to top Go down
Laila
Laila

Female Number of posts : 177
Registration date : 2007-11-03

PostSubject: Re: Ar-Riyaa - Invalidation of Actions   Ar-Riyaa - Invalidation of Actions Icon_minitimeTue Aug 18, 2009 6:35 pm

I was reading on this yesterday...this is what it said:

If your heart is not attentive and your limbs not at rest this is beacuse of your defective knowledge of the majesty of God Most High. Imagine, then, that an upright man, one of the leading members of your family is watching you to learn the quality of your prayer; at that your heart will be attentive and your limbs at rest. Next turn back to your soul and say:

"O evil soul, are you not ashamed before your Creator and Patron? When you imagined that you were observed by a humble servant of His, who was able neither to benefit nor to harm you, your members were submissive and your prayer was good. Yet, though you know He observes you, you do not humble yourself before His greatness. Is He, the Most High, less in your eyes than one of His servants? How presumptuous and ignorant you are"!

eek Good innit tongue (Wish I could type up the whole book coolsis)

Then it goes on to say that you should use these types of tactics in the treatment of your heart, and perhaps it will accompany you attentively in your prayer.

Indeed God accepts from your prayer (a measure proportional) to the measure of your humbleness, submissiveness, modesty and lowliness. Worship Him in your prayer as if you see Him, for, even if you do not see Him, yet He sees you. (Narrated by Umar Ibn al-Khattab, on Islam, Iman and Ihsan, related by Bukhari and Muslim).

(Book is Al-Ghazali, The Beginning of Guidance by Mashhad Al-Allaf).
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ar-Riyaa - Invalidation of Actions   Ar-Riyaa - Invalidation of Actions Icon_minitimeTue Aug 18, 2009 7:23 pm

jazakAllahu khayr to you both Smile
Back to top Go down
dismal
a nobody
dismal

Female Number of posts : 94
Registration date : 2008-12-31

PostSubject: Re: Ar-Riyaa - Invalidation of Actions   Ar-Riyaa - Invalidation of Actions Icon_minitimeFri Sep 04, 2009 12:08 am

JazakAllahu khair

I cannot recall whether I read this or heard this, if anyone knows please clarify. It is a person's desire with imaan to be not known.

-dismal
Back to top Go down
Nisaa

PostSubject: Re: Ar-Riyaa - Invalidation of Actions   Ar-Riyaa - Invalidation of Actions Icon_minitimeTue Sep 08, 2009 6:16 am

dismal wrote:
JazakAllahu khair

I cannot recall whether I read this or heard this, if anyone knows please clarify. It is a person's desire with imaan to be not known.

-dismal

Sa’īd bin ‘Abd al-Ghaffār said, “It was Muḥammad bin Yūsuf al-Aṣbahānī and I, when the book of Muḥammad bin al-’Alā’ bin Al-Musayyab arrived from al-Baṣraħ (or al-Buṣrah) to Muḥammad bin Yūsuf. He read it and then Muḥammad bin Yūsuf said to me, ‘Do you not see what Muḥammad bin al-’Alā’ has written in it? And in is, “O’ my brother! Whosoever loves Allāh, loves that people don’t know him.”’” [At-Tawāḍu' wal Khumūl 1/39]

http://siraajunmuneer.wordpress.com/2009/09/01/whosoever-loves-allah/
Back to top Go down
Nisaa

PostSubject: Re: Ar-Riyaa - Invalidation of Actions   Ar-Riyaa - Invalidation of Actions Icon_minitimeWed Sep 30, 2009 8:00 pm

Ar-Riyaa - Invalidation of Actions 086-194
‘O Allaah, I take refuge in You lest I should commit shirk with You knowingly and I seek Your forgiveness for what I do unknowingly.’
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ar-Riyaa - Invalidation of Actions   Ar-Riyaa - Invalidation of Actions Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Ar-Riyaa - Invalidation of Actions
Page 1 of 1