Darul Ilm
Darul Ilm
Darul Ilm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Darul Ilm

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterArcadeLog in
Imaam al-Shaafi’i Rahimahullaah said: ‘There is nobody except that he has someone who loves him and someone who hates him. So if that’s the case, let a person be with the people who are obedient to Allaah `Azza Wa Jall.’

Salam to a kafir?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Abu Hafsa
Knight of Islam
Abu Hafsa

Male Number of posts : 1423
Religion : Islam
Registration date : 2008-08-01

Salam to a kafir? Empty
PostSubject: Salam to a kafir?   Salam to a kafir? Icon_minitimeSat Jan 31, 2009 6:24 pm

Assalamualikum

I thought that we are not allowed to reply to a kafir with "walaikumsalam" if he greets us. But read this, can anyone clear this up please?

http://www.islam-qa.com/en/ref/43154
Back to top Go down

Salam to a kafir? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Salam to a kafir?   Salam to a kafir? Icon_minitimeSat Jan 31, 2009 8:37 pm

wa alaikum salaam

Most places ive read (reliable fatwa sites) say that you should return the greeting with 'wa alaik' only and ive read that in various books too....

I remember listening to a speech by Dr Zakir Naik who said something similar to what you posted by saying that all you are doing is wishing them peace, and that is what Rasulullah Sallallahu alayhi wa preached....

on the other hand, there is this fatwa from IslamQA http://www.islam-qa.com/en/ref/48966
which says the salaam shouldnt be initiated by the Muslim to a kaafir.

this article sums up the different opinions and also gives the hadeeth/quranic references...
http://www.suhaibwebb.com/blog/minority-fiqh/rules-of-greeting-non-muslims-in-islam-saying-salaamreplying-salaam-bynurideen-lemu-an-nigeri/
Back to top Go down
Nisaa

Female Number of posts : 2677
Religion : Islam
Registration date : 2008-07-02

Salam to a kafir? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Salam to a kafir?   Salam to a kafir? Icon_minitimeSat Jan 31, 2009 8:48 pm

wswrwb

The annoying thing is sometimes you just cannot tell if they're Muslims... =s
Back to top Go down
Orthodox

Female Number of posts : 30
Religion : Al-Islam
Registration date : 2010-11-09

Salam to a kafir? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Salam to a kafir?   Salam to a kafir? Icon_minitimeWed Nov 10, 2010 4:52 pm

This is a confusing topic. Here are some related rulings together with a commentary of th e hadeeths telling us what to do. Some say those hadeeths are applied to a particular contex , etc... tHE GENERAL RULING IS THAT WE MUST DO EVERYTHING FOR DAW'AH REASONS WITH THEM.

Abu Hurairah (May Allah be pleased with him) reported: The Messenger of Allah (PBUH) said, "Do not greet the Jews and the Christians before they greet you; and when you meet any one of them on the road, force him to go to the narrowest part of it."

[Muslim].

Commentary: This Hadith prohibits Muslims from greeting non-Muslims first. It also tells us that when the road is crowded, we should use the middle of the road and let the non-Muslims use its sides. This Hadith shows the dignity of Muslims and the disgrace and humiliation of the non-Muslims.

Anas (May Allah be pleased with him) reported: Messenger of Allah (PBUH) said, "When the people of the Book greet you (i.e., by saying 'As-Samu 'Alaikum,' meaning death be upon you), you should respond with: 'Wa 'alaikum' [The same on you (i.e., and death will be upon you, for no one will escape death)]."

[Al-Bukhari and Muslim].

Usamah bin Zaid (May Allah be pleased with him) reported: The Prophet (PBUH) passed by a mixed company of people which included Muslims, polytheists and Jews, and he gave them the greeting (i.e., saying As-Salamu 'Alaikum).

[Al-Bukhari and Muslim].

Commentary: If there is a mixed assembly of Muslims and non-Muslims, one should utter greeting to it but consider Muslims as one's addressees.

Quote :
There are abundant Islamic texts which indicate that it is haraam to befriend and love the kuffaar or take them as close friends, and honour them and show friendship to them, or be the first to greet them. But exceptions are made in some cases when that is for a purpose or need, such as greeting them with words other than salaam when necessary, or treating them kindly when calling them to Islam. That includes smiling at them.
ISLAMIC QA

[/quote]In the Hadeeth, the jews used to sneeze before the Prophet in the hope he says to them "May Allah have mercy on you" but he would only say to them "May Allah guide you".

That is why there is two ways to say it when someone sneeze:

a. Muslim: duaa of Mercy

b. non-Muslim duaa of guidance.

Wallahu A'lam[quote]

Back to top Go down
Orthodox

Salam to a kafir? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Salam to a kafir?   Salam to a kafir? Icon_minitimeWed Nov 10, 2010 4:58 pm

Quote :
I remember listening to a speech by Dr Zakir Naik who said something similar to what you
I wouldn't take rulings from Dr. Zaik Naik. He is not a scholar. I would listen to his refutations of Christians, etc... Fiqh..no.

I do not think he is for the safest side. Because doubtful things, the Prophet, sall-Allahu alayhi wa salam, preached, to take a fatwa making haram.

Quote :
Muslim's Piety and Self Restraint
From an-Nu'maan ibn Basheer (radiyallaahu 'anhu) who said that I heard Allaah's Messenger (salallaahu 'alaihi wa'sallam) say: That which is lawful is clear, and that which is forbidden is clear, and between them are doubtful matters about which many of the people have no knowledge. So whoever avoids doubtful matters saves his Religion and his honour, and whoever falls into doubtful matters falls into what is forbidden. Just like a shepherd who grazes (his sheep) near to a private pasture (of another), he will soon stray on to it. Indeed for every king there is a private preserve. Indeed the preserve of Allaah are those things which He has forbidden. Indeed there is a piece of flesh in the body which if it is good, then the whole body is good, but if it is corrupt then the whole body is corrupt. Indeed it is the heart.

Reported by al-Bukharee (Eng. Trans. 1/44/no.49) and Muslim (Eng. Trans. 3/840/no.3882)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
NOTES
So the Muslim with regard to whatever situation arises in his life will have to face each of them with one of the following three stances: ONE: Completely refraining from it: That is with regards to that which is doubtful

TWO: Accepting without constraint: That is with regard to which is clearly permissible

THREE: To abstain from it: This is with regards to things which are not clearly permissible nor clearly forbidden.

If the last stance indicates something it is an indication of a Muslim's piety and fear of falling into that which is forbidden and of entering into something evil. The Muslim therefore abstains from it, and distances himself from it in order to please Allaah and to ensure that His commands are followed. It is not to be said, as some people say: 'That is not forbidden, so do it.' No, since it is not permissible to do everything other than which has been forbidden. So those things which are doubtful matters are closer to that which is forbidden, as occurs in the hadeeth itself: 'Whoever falls into the doubtful matters falls into what is forbidden….' So this fear and piety confirms that: [Next »]
Back to top Go down
Orthodox

Salam to a kafir? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Salam to a kafir?   Salam to a kafir? Icon_minitimeWed Nov 10, 2010 4:58 pm

Quote :
I remember listening to a speech by Dr Zakir Naik who said something similar to what you
I wouldn't take rulings from Dr. Zaik Naik. He is not a scholar. I would listen to his refutations of Christians, etc... Fiqh..no.

I do not think he is for the safest side. Because doubtful things, the Prophet, sall-Allahu alayhi wa salam, preached, to take a fatwa making haram.

Quote :
Muslim's Piety and Self Restraint
From an-Nu'maan ibn Basheer (radiyallaahu 'anhu) who said that I heard Allaah's Messenger (salallaahu 'alaihi wa'sallam) say: That which is lawful is clear, and that which is forbidden is clear, and between them are doubtful matters about which many of the people have no knowledge. So whoever avoids doubtful matters saves his Religion and his honour, and whoever falls into doubtful matters falls into what is forbidden. Just like a shepherd who grazes (his sheep) near to a private pasture (of another), he will soon stray on to it. Indeed for every king there is a private preserve. Indeed the preserve of Allaah are those things which He has forbidden. Indeed there is a piece of flesh in the body which if it is good, then the whole body is good, but if it is corrupt then the whole body is corrupt. Indeed it is the heart.

Reported by al-Bukharee (Eng. Trans. 1/44/no.49) and Muslim (Eng. Trans. 3/840/no.3882)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
NOTES
So the Muslim with regard to whatever situation arises in his life will have to face each of them with one of the following three stances: ONE: Completely refraining from it: That is with regards to that which is doubtful

TWO: Accepting without constraint: That is with regard to which is clearly permissible

THREE: To abstain from it: This is with regards to things which are not clearly permissible nor clearly forbidden.

If the last stance indicates something it is an indication of a Muslim's piety and fear of falling into that which is forbidden and of entering into something evil. The Muslim therefore abstains from it, and distances himself from it in order to please Allaah and to ensure that His commands are followed. It is not to be said, as some people say: 'That is not forbidden, so do it.' No, since it is not permissible to do everything other than which has been forbidden. So those things which are doubtful matters are closer to that which is forbidden, as occurs in the hadeeth itself: 'Whoever falls into the doubtful matters falls into what is forbidden….' So this fear and piety confirms that: [Next »]
Back to top Go down

Salam to a kafir? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Salam to a kafir?   Salam to a kafir? Icon_minitimeThu Nov 11, 2010 2:22 am

jazakAllahu khayr, i wasnt advocating his view, was just making it clear as to why he says what he does and why some people use similar opinion.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Salam to a kafir? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Salam to a kafir?   Salam to a kafir? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Salam to a kafir?
Page 1 of 1